I’ve been meaning to write about procrastination for a while… but yes, I put it off. The question is why????
So many people that I know and love, including myself, procrastinate. Not only do we procrastinate with the projects/tasks we don’t want to complete but surprisingly, we procrastinate with the projects we DO want to complete. I find this so fascinating that I decided to learn more about it. One of articles I read (“Why People Procrastinate” by Itamar Shatz) impressed me so much that I reference his 28 possible reasons in this blog.
I want you to think about one major goal you want to achieve but either haven’t started yet or haven’t finished yet. Is it starting a business? Is it finding a new career? Is it buying a vehicle? The question is why??? I believe it’s imperative that we identify the reason(s) we procrastinate because it’s only in acknowledging those reasons and finding solutions that we can take action and achieve those goals.
Take the Quiz
So I implore you to take this quiz and be honest with yourself about your responses. Complete the sentence “I procrastinate on my dream goal/project because…” with each of the 28 options. Classify your response my selecting only 1 of the following frequency options:
I’m no psychologist so there’s no grading associated with your responses. The will simply give you insight into which reasons resonate more frequently.
I procrastinate on my dream goal/project because…
- the goal is too abstract/vague so I don’t know how to achieve it.
- the reward is so far out in the future that it’s not worth it to start.
- I can’t see the connection between my current self and my future self once the goal is achieved.
- I intend to take better action in the future so why bother to start now.
- I have plenty of time to start/complete it down the road so why start now.
- I can’t decide what my goal/next step is.
- I’m overwhelmed by the tasks/actions required to complete it.
- I’m anxious about the tasks associated with it.
- I hate completing certain tasks associated with it.
- I’m a perfectionist. If I can’t do it perfectly, I won’t do it at all.
- I’m afraid that if I achieve my goal, I’ll get negative feedback.
- I’m afraid I’ll fail.
- I impose my own barriers that prevent me from achieving it.
- I tend to self-sabotage and don’t believe I deserve to achieve it.
- I have a low degree of self-efficacy/confidence.
- I don’t think I have control of the outcomes in my life.
- I have a ADHD which makes it difficult or me to concentrate.
- I’m too depressed to start or make progress on my goal.
- I’m not motivated enough to ahieve it.
- I don’t have the physical/mental energy to achieve it.
- I’m lazy… it’s that simple.
- I prefer to do things that will make me feel better right now even though it’s at the expense of my long-term goal.
- I have no self-control.
- I have no self-perseverance.
- I’m too impulsive and can’t/don’t plan ahead.
- I’m too easily distracted and can’t stay focused on one thing at a time..
- I prefer to wait until the last minute in order to add pressure, challenge and/or excitement to the tasks.
- I’m rebelling against the person who assigned the task.
“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.”