- Is your home overrun by gifts that you or your loved ones have received that you don’t want/need?
- Are you unable to get rid of them out of guilt or for fear of hurting the gift giver’s feelings?
- Are you tired of spending more time/money/energy than you should on buying holiday gifts for others?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, I have the solution for you. Give your loved ones a “One Less Gift; One More Memory” certificate.
What is it?
It’s a certificate you present to each loved one with whom you typically exchange holiday gifts. Its purpose is to propose an environmental-friendly, stress-friendly and financial-friendly alternative. In lieu of exchanging physical gifts this holiday season (which consume our valuable time, space & energy), it proposes that you both agree in advance on something you can both do together to create a wonderful MEMORY instead (which will last a lifetime)!
What are some of the advantages?
- Save Time/Energy: Less time/energy will be exerted shopping for physical gifts either in person or online
- Less Stress: Are you one of those people who will buy whatever is convenient and/or on sale for someone OR do you put a lot of thought/energy/time into the gift(s) you purchase for others? If you’re the latter, the “One Less Gift; One More Memory” certificate is certain to prevent a lot of stress!
- Save Money: Fewer gifts purchased equals less money spent.
- Save Space: The recipient doesn’t have to worry about storing/displaying the gift
- Deepen a Relationship: By spending more time with someone, chances are very high that it will deepen your relationship with them.
- Gain Memories: In addition, by spending time with someone, it’s highly likely that you will create at least one wonderful memory together… one to be cherished forever.
Are there any disadvantages?
Of course there could be some disadvantages to making this proposal. The ones that immediately come to mind are:
- the other person could be insulted
- the other person could be upset because they LOVE shopping and you’re essentially taking that away from them.
What are some of the “in lieu of” options of the “One Less Gift; One More Memory” certificate?
There are a million other options you can propose in lieu of exchanging gifts but below are some of my favorites. If you have any others, I’d love for you to put them in the comment section below.
- Exchange Services (If you’re each particularly good at different things, why not offer to help each other out?)
- Do something healthy together (go for a walk, take a hike, etc.)
- Volunteer your time (either together or individually)
- Make a Financial Donation to a charity (either the same one or to your individual preference)
- Create a Homemade gift. What if you each create a homemade gift for the other. Since there may be a cost involved with materials, I suggest setting a cap in advance that you both agree on.
- Write a Letter telling the person what you love about them, why, and the difference they’ve made in your life.
In my humble opinion, the advantages of giving a “One Less Gift; One More Memory” certificate significantly outweigh the disadvantages so I say let’s go for it! Let’s start a revolution with the holiday season upon us.
Brenda Tringali, CPO® (Certified Professional Organizer)
Organizing | Productivity | Speaker
At Your Fingertips Organizing
Serving Greater Myrtle Beach, SC or “virtually” anywhere via video
Brenda Tringali is the owner of At Your Fingertips Organizing. She provides Speaking, Organizing & Productivity services to Workplace/Residential clients both in person in the greater Myrtle Beach, SC area & “virtually” anywhere else via video, phone, etc. Brenda is an active member of NAPO (National Association of Productivity and Organizing professionals) and the former Chair of NAPOCares, NAPO’s Social Responsibility Committee.